Autocar U7144T.

Antony

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done Tony keep the pics coming, I called in and had a good look at the Autocar this morning, nice bit of kit, Roys got lots of hard work but if anyone can do it he can.But like you said lots of flat panel work so not to bad to shape up.

All the best

Howard.

All the unwanted additions have been removed to reveal the state of the chassis at the rear, which is reasonable, but the cross member will have to be replaced. Both the clutch and brake pedals are now free, and both gearboxes turn and the handbrake has been released.

HPIM0043.jpg

HPIM0045.jpg

All the unwanted additions have been removed to reveal the state of the chassis at the rear, which is reasonable, but the cross member will have to be replaced. Both the clutch and brake pedals are now free, and both gearboxes turn and the handbrake has been released.

I notice the hierarchy of freeing off implements in the bottom photo:-

First and nearest the truck, the trusty can of WD40,

Second the frustration beater or hammer,

Thirdly and the final resort, the gas axe!

I had a sweep up around my Autocar today.

I only mention that because as a result I now have a large quantity of cardboard off-cuts from Roy's first missing parts pattern-making exercise, which would make great souvenirs of this restoration. Will sell individually or as a job lot. :n00b:

They are truely a stunning vehicle and they all must be laden with history.

Jacks mention of history is relevent in this case, there is a brass plate on the instrument panel of the Autocar written in French. When the details were entered into google, it showed a military hospital in Versailles, the connection between it and the Autocar have not been established, but we wondered if it had been a break down vehicle for the hospital transport. It had the remains of an A frame hinged on a heavy plate on the rear of the chassis which was obviously for that purpose.

I notice the hierarchy of freeing off implements in the bottom photo:-

First and nearest the truck, the trusty can of WD40,

Second the frustration beater or hammer,

Thirdly and the final resort, the gas axe!

Even the air hammer spanner needs help as well!

HPIM0033.jpg

The Autocar made it into the shed this afternoon, where an interesting discovery was made. The cylinder heads where removed to reveal the bores are in very good condition apart from some surface rust and the exhaust valves being a bit corroded. There is a rebuild plate dated 1952 on the block, and the general feeling is that the vehicle has had very little use since then.

The hope is that given the good condition of the bores, once the valves have been removed the engine will be free to turn, the possibility of getting the engine to run is increased.

HPIM0050.jpg

HPIM0051.jpg

HPIM0055.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress with the Autocar has been a bit slow recently because of the busy season on the Farm, and a couple of end of season shows. Some of the structural cab parts have been made, shown here, together with a new bumper which has been fitted.

HPIM0039.jpg

HPIM0040.jpg

HPIM0092.jpg

A bit more progress with the Autocar over the weekend, the front left spring was badly out of shape and was replaced with a new one complete with shackles and castings.

The structural pressings for the cab are being fitted to retain the cab shape, and then the cab can be removed which will make it easier to rebuild.

HPIM0097.jpg

HPIM0098.jpg

HPIM0093.jpg

HPIM0100.jpg